Thursday, September 04, 2008

The Meaning of 'Biblical' Inerrancy

Learning to appreciate 'heavy reading' in a significant way.  I never really grasped the need for reading that really challenges you.  I am getting my fill of that kind of reading now as I take a class titled "God and His Word".  The class lays out some foundations for further study of theology and doctrine.  Just spent a few hours reading a chapter in the book "Inerrancy" by Norman Geisler, a chapter titled 'The Meaning of Inerrancy' by Paul D. Feinberg.  I found this definition of inerrancy:

"Inerrancy means that when all facts are known, the Scriptures in their original autographs and properly interpreted will be shown to be wholly true in everything that they affirm, whether that has to do with doctrine or morality or with the social, physical, or life sciences."

I agree a mouth full!  I am gaining a new found appreciation for the depth of scripture as the Word of God and how securely we can depend on it as ultimate truth.  Although the chapter was a challenging read - it listed at length observations, qualifications, and misunderstandings that can and are made on the topic of inerrancy.

One realization that came out of this reading was how much people are culturally affected by certain words.  We you see words like inerrancy or truth, many people already right off that there is none (of either) left in the world.  That 'truth' is what we each define it as.  And then when a christian says - no, the only truth is the bible.   How did we as a culture and society get to that point?  There is no truth?  As I come to grip with what the Bible says and who Jesus is, there is a confirmation that I experience, its the only thing that makes sense, the only system that one can truly rest upon.  Just one great example of how I experience God's grace :-)

Read Strong - Kevin

No comments: