Thursday, September 04, 2008

What defines our identity?

Many athletes that I coach are very driven 'achievers'. But what happens if the goal is missed, or something doesn't go as planned? I am no different in that I fall into the temptation of finding my identity in the result or lack of.

I spent 4 years of my life in pursuit of qualifying for the Hawaii Ironman Triathlon World Championship held each October.  Putting all my worth into qualifying.  In all of that, I sacrificed so much - relationships, time, money.  And during the journey I did not cherish the internal growth, the teaching and the impact it had on me as a person.  All the athletes I work with get a sense of my passion for the 'Journey' and it really came out of that experience.  It is not that we cannot have goals that push us.  But the real success is in the process not the destination.  There are so many parallels with this sport metaphor and with life. But also in answering the really big question ''What is the chief end in life?''   Is it to be the best athlete we can be?   That is not a bad end, and it could be a small part of a triathletes story, but I think there is a much bigger end to our personal story.

As a disciple of Jesus I pray for a deep desire of my heart and mind in the fulfilment the greater end - ''The chief end of man is to Glorify God and enjoy him for ever.''

One of my on-going prayers is that athletes & (people that I interact with) would be driven to a deep reality that their identity is in Christ and not in the outcome.   That by enjoying the sport of triathlon, work, family, hobbies - all of life, they would be glorifying God and not themselves.   Here is the reality - I struggle with this in a deep way.   I have to repent often of my selfish desire and how that drives me to a 'performance' based relationship with God.  When I feel that I am 'doing' good performing well not only in sport but in life, I have a sense that God is pleased with me.  But when I feel I am not 'doing' enough or performing poorly, I feel that I am letting God down.  But here is the truth - his love is not defined by how we feel about ourselves.   And he is not concerned about what we 'do', but 'who we are'.  This leads to a great question - "What kind of person are you becoming?" And is that person you are becoming defined by a true identity or a false one?

We all need to reminded of what our identity is really in, yes that includes me as well!

Kevin

No comments: