Monday, September 22, 2008

What is Sin?

"Basing your identity on anything other than God!"

Some real simplicity to that!   Identity - it is what we find that defines us.  Family, education, fitness, marriage, kids, work, and on and on and on.  There are so many things that we identify with.  The world trains us in this way from the very begging of our understanding.  We are called to look out for #1, capitalize on our natural abilities and if you work hard, make the right decisions and with a little luck, you will be noticed, be successful, arrive!!  But what is the end in that?  Where is God in all of that?  None of those things above are bad in themselves, but when we find our identity in those things, when we leave God out of the picture and do those things independent of him.  We sin!   I think many people Christians alike, me included, try their hardest to manage there sin.  But it is impossible!    I think that is why I really was struck by the simplicity of this definition.  It has caused me to a deeper repentance that has and will continue to drive me to a deeper faith!

What do you find your identity in?

No comments: