Thursday, May 18, 2006

Wild at Heart

I am reading the book “Wild at Heart” with my good friend JD. I asked JD if he would be interested in investing in me on deeper level as a mentor. Have you ever met someone that you just clicked with right off the bat? That is the way it was with JD and I. JD played football at Trinity College just outside Chicago. As athletes, even though from different perspectives, we really hit it off. The thing that really drew me to JD was his spiritual leadership. JD and I meet for an hour or so each week and discuss life, struggles, and our spiritual formation. JD suggested that we read the book 'Wild at Heart' as a way to lead our discussion. I have read the book or at least part of it a few years ago, but reading it with JD and being intentional about discussing it has made a huge impact on my spiritual life and the relationships in my life. The book really calls out to men and the re-discovery of their heart.

Although we are only half way through our reading, I have been challenged in the way I view my role in life as a man. As a believer in Jesus Christ, I am a seeker of the truth. And as a disciple of Christ, I have a willingness to be active in my pursuit of this truth. Thus my relationship with JD. What most often happens during my pursuit of the truth is that I am confronted with my sin nature that requires a response from me in some way.

In his grip -

Kevin

No comments: