Wednesday, May 31, 2006

American Triple T Triathlon

I approached the Triple T as a training weekend not an all out racing effort. I am preparing for my “A” race the Buffalo Springs Lake Triathlon (1/2 Ironman) in Lubbock, TX on June 25th 2006. I was invited to travel with a client of mine to the Triple T and have always wanted to give the 4 race 3 day event a shot. This was Ben’s 4ht trip to the Triple T and felt I was in good hands and was able to get the inside scope on the event. Ben indicated that it was the hardest racing he has ever done. This coming from a guy who has raced several Ironman triathlons and has racing in the Ironman World Championship in Kona Hawaii a few times. Oh – was Ben right about it being tough. The race was held in the Shawnee State Forest near Portsmouth, Ohio. There was easily 20,000’ + of climbing in the 4 races put together. Went for a run today (a few days post event) and it felt like I have never run before. The following is a brief breakdown of how the races went for me!

Race #1: Prologue
Friday, May 26, 5:00 PM
250m Swim - 5 mi Bike - 1 mi Run
Finish Time = 26:08
As this race indicates, it was a sprint triathlon. I held back on the three legs knowing the racing I had ahead of me. Was able to post a 6:27 mile even with my HR under control! It was mild and a bit of rain fell on us just before the start. The water in the lake was unusually warm, but I still chose to wear my wet-suit.

Race #2: Individual Time Trial
Saturday, May 27, 7:30 AM
1500m Swim - 24.8 mi Bike - 6.55 mi Run
Finish Time = 2:45
Slept well the night before this event! Ben and I roomed with an athlete from Racine Wisconsin “Jim” at the host hotel with in Shawnee State Park. We started all the events in a time trial format meaning the person with the #1 went first then #2 5 seconds after and so on. I was #385 so I was way in the back. But they utilized chip timing. I had a decent swim, but nothing spectactular, very comfortable and passed many athletes. The bike very challenging with several long climbs and very steep and scary descents. The roads were rough. About 20 mins into the bike I flatted on my rear wheel, requiring me to stop and replace the tire. This through me off a bit and I lost at least 8 mins, but it made me take a break. Made it through the rest of the ride with out a hitch. The run was brutal. 3.25 miles out, mostly uphill and on fire roads (unpaved) then 3.25 miles back. Again – unseasonably warm during this event. Felt very under control during this race and was able to keep my HR down even with all the climbing. Overall the body was holding up well.

Race #3: Team Triathlon
Saturday, May 27, 3:00pm Start
24.8 mi Bike - 1500m Swim - 6.55 mi Run
Finish Time = 2:44
Was able to get in a short ‘cat’ nap between this race and the earlier one. This race was when I could tell the racing start to take its toll. In this event we biked, then swam, then ran. The bike was brutal, a bit different course than earlier in the day. There as a brutal 12 min steep climb that really took it out of me. I was using a 12 – 25 rear cog and I could of used a 27. I was ironic that I had just a 1 min faster time in this second race with out a flat. The run was the same fire road course and the temps rose to the mid 80’s in the afternoon. After the race my quads were telling me that I did some racing that day!!!!

Race #4: Team Time Trial
Sunday, May 28, 7:00am Start
1.2 mi Swim - 55.5 mi Bike - 13.1 mi Run
Total Time = 5:53
Tried my best to get some solid sleep and recovery before this event, but I slept like crap during the night. I hydrated and fueled well as I woke up at 3:30am to eat my pre-race meal of ensure and oatmeal and went back to bed. Legs were very tight in the morning, but loosened up on the bike (sort of). My swim was about what I expected given my tired / fatigued nature. My bike was so starting slow it was hard to deal with. This course was brutal, several 25+ min climbs and descents to steep you had your breaks on the whole time. It was a 2 loop course that was unsupported meaning you had to carry your own fuel / water and the only time to refuel was at the transition area after the first loop. It got into the 90’s during the race, but I managed to hydrate and fuel well during the ride. The run was double what we had done in the previous day’s races. I knew the run was going to be brutal and I threw out my open ½ Ironman race ‘run’ pace and made it about survival. I made a promise to myself that I would not walk during the run, not matter how slow my job would be. It was tough but I made it thought the entire run with no walking. My run time was very slow, but I was pleased that I made it over the mental barrier. There were athletes coming unglued all around me, but I just kept on moving forward. I was very pleased how my nutrition plan worked for me during the run. I drank water at every aid station (every mile) and took a gel every 20 mins. At every opportunity I got a cup of ice and dumped it down the front of my shorts to aid in keeping my core temp cool. It works like a charm!

Total Racing Time for 4 races = 11:49

So – some hard course racing in just a few days! I look forward to going back to this great event and giving it a another shot. I know better what to expect the next time! If you are interested in knowing what an Ironman Triathlon feels like, but are not ready for the Iron distance all at one time, this event is for you!

Train Smart and Learn to Suffer –

Coach Kevin

No comments: