Friday, October 10, 2008

Athlete Question "How to go 10 hours at Ironman Louisville KY?"

A question from my buddy Brian in Alabama:

So Kevin - so what do I do now to get to 10 hrs in Louisville?!?

This is a huge question Brian. At its core is your ability to recover. Given your performance in WI you are doing the right type of training. For a 10 hr time you will need to be able to increasingly recover from long and intense sessions on a frequent basis. This is the 'core' limiter for most endurance athletes. Most have a hard time recovering given the demanding schedules that we have (marriages, family, work, and rest / sleep). So one of the questions that I have been encouraging the athletes I coach, more and more frequently, is to take a realistic look at goals and count the cost. There are several costs in pursuing Ironman / endurance dreams and as athletes set higher and higher goals the demands for recovery become paramount.

Hope this helps as I know it is kind of vague. That is why I like my initial response of Beer and Tacos - way simplier! Remember if you go this route - enjoy in moderation :-)

Kevin

No comments: