Saturday, June 17, 2006

Learning to Breathe while Swimming

Here is some Q&A that I had with an athlete that was struggling with breathing while swimming --

Athletes Question/observation about swimming/breathing: What I am finding out is as I take a breath during the stroke cycle, I begin with plenty of air, but as I continue the breathing/stroking rhythm I start getting short of breath. It seems like I am still inhailing the same amount, but it doesn't seem to last as long. I flip over on my back to catch some additional breaths and then return to stroking/breathing.

Coach Kevin Response: What I have experienced with swimmers, is that durating training their breathing pattern is a bit more relaxed than when in a race / open water, due to intensity and some anxiety. Not sure what your breathing pattern is during your training, but I would suggest breathing more often such as every other stroke. This will allow you to get more oxygen than if every 3rd or 4th stroke. The other suggestion for you is to slow down your swimming intensity early in the race. Most athletes start a triathlon swim at a much too high intensity and end up in oxygen debt real early in the swim and spend the rest of the swim and beyond just trying to make up. Like you mentioned your issue could be more complex, but these are my thoughts.

Again all my best with the racing this weekend!

Coach

No comments: